In 1980, Ley hosted the first televised NCAA Selection Show, though the airing would switch to CBS two years later.
Ley hosts ESPN’s investigative program Outside the Lines, which he has hosted since its inception in 1990. He has hosted SportsCenter for much of his career at ESPN, and on August 9, 2004, he hosted an “old school” edition with longtime broadcasting partner Charley Steiner.
He is the primary studio host for ESPN’s telecasts of major international professional soccer tournaments, including the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup, the 2012 UEFA European Championship and the 2016 UEFA European Championship.
In addition to this latest award, Ley’s honors include:
- 1987 – Bloomfield High School Athletic Hall of Fame
- 1995 – Northeastern University Center for Study of Sport and Society and School of Journalism Excellence in Sports Journalism Award
- WSOU-FM Hall of Fame Member
- Eight Sports Emmy Awards for Sports Journalism
- Three CableACE Awards for Sports Information Series
- Four CableACE Awards (with Suburban Cablevision, East Orange, New Jersey)
- 2008 – Commencement speaker for the University of Hartford (West Hartford, Connecticut)
- 2013 – Golden Blazer of Fame for services to soccer in the United States